Important notes .
hyperlinks shown on each page .
Search function .
Rechte Spalte / Module .

 





Dokumenteninhalt .

Places to go


Akademie Mont-Cenis (Mont-Cenis Academy)


Mont-Cenis Academy in Sodingen

Mont-Cenis Academy in Sodingen, which was named after a local colliery, houses the Further Education Institute of the North Rhine Westphalian Internal Affairs Ministry and parts of Herne’s municipal administration, with library and citizens’ meeting hall. The Academy is also an unusual energy park – with the world’s largest roof-integrated solar power generator.

Akademie Mont-Cenis, Mont-Cenis-Platz 1, 44627 Herne
Phone: 0 23 23 / 96 50
E-mail: info@akademie-mont-cenis.de
Internet site: www.akademie-mont-cenis.de


Museum for Archaeology


Museum für Archäologie / Museum for Archaeology

The LWL (regional authority Westphalia-Lippe) Museum for Archaeology in Herne is the central showcase for archaeology in Westphalia. With its unique concept and design, the Museum is one of the most cutting-edge museums in Europe.

LWL-Museum für Archäologie, Europaplatz, 44623 Herne
Phone: 0 23 23 / 94 62 80
E-mail: archaeologiemuseum@lwl.org
Internet site: www.lwl-landesmuseum-herne.de


Railway stations


A copy of the sculpture

As a result of the amalgamation in 1975 of Herne and Wanne-Eickel, the city of Herne has two railway stations. The station in Herne-Mitte is known as Station (Bahnhof), the one in Wanne-Eickel is referred to as Main Station (Hauptbahnhof). Both are handsome buildings – and products of the International Building Exhibition Emscher Park, a ten-year programme of urban and ecological regeneration in the region.

Bahnhof Herne, Konrad-Adenauer-Platz, 44623 Herne
Information by Deutsche Bahn

Bahnhof Wanne-Eickel, Heinz-Rühmann-Platz, 44649 Herne
Information by Deutsche Bahn


Emschertal-Museum of the city of Herne


The Emschertal Museum of the city of Herne comprises three separate buildings: Strünkede castle in Herne-Mitte, Heimat- und Naturkunde-Museum (local history museum) in the suburb Unser Fritz, and Städtische Galerie im Schlosspark (municipal gallery in Strünkede castle park).

E-mail: emschertal-museum@herne.de


Schloss Strünkede (Strünkede castle)


Strünkede castle with moat

Strünkede castle houses the largest section of the Emschertal Museum. The castle was originally a medieval fortress which was converted in 1664 into an early baroque moated castle by Gottfried von Strünkede. Today, the castle contains the Museums’s cultural and civic history collections. Illustrations of "Knightdom in the Middle Ages" explain the history of the castle and the Strünkede family.
"Vom Riesenhirsch zum Petticoat" (From giant-stag Megaceros to petticoat): This is the motto chosen for the history of the city of Herne against the background of the cultural history of the Emscher region. The exhibition chronicles the city’s history from Neandertal man, the first inhabitant of Herne, to Berahtwin, a farmer who lived here in the 9th century right down to the time when a handful of villages evolved into the industrial town of Herne.

Schloss Strünkede, Karl-Brandt-Weg 5, 44629 Herne
Phone: 0 23 23 / 16 10 72 und 16 26 11


Heimat- und Naturkunde-Museum (local history museum)


Chemist’s shop in Jugendstil design

The Heimat- und Naturkunde-Museum (local history museum) is in the former Unser Fritz Elementary School. One of the main sections of the museum is dedicated to industrial and transport history. The statues outside the museum building – a miner, a railwayman and a bargeman – symbolize the sectors that made Herne and Wanne-Eickel what they are. The visitor will learn much about the history of Herne collieries and will see exhibits relating to the railways, passenger transport, and canal shipping. Outside in the courtyard is a model railway with an impressive collection of rail vehicles for the transport of goods and passengers.

Heimat und Naturkunde-Museum, Unser-Fritz-Straße 108, 44653 Herne
Phone: 0 23 25 / 7 52 55


Städtische Galerie (municipal gallery)


Wood-panelled foyer of Städtische Galerie in Strünkede castle park.

The Städtische Galerie (municipal gallery), a villa built in 1896 by the last owner of Strünkede castle, was originally intended to house the civic history collection of Emschertal Museum.
Since 1978 special exhibitions have been regularly held in the eight rooms of the villa. The focus is mainly on art, but cultural history is also featured. The studio gallery on the top floor presents selected artworks from the museum’s own holdings.

Städtische Galerie, Karl-Brandt-Weg 2, 44629 Herne
Phone: 0 23 23 / 16 26 59 und 16 26 11


Flottmann-Hallen


Façade of Flottmann-Hallen

For a short period in its history Herne was known widely as "Stadt der Bohrhämmer" (town of rotary hammer drills). The city owes this name and the significance it symbolized before World War II to the entrepreneur Heinrich Flottmann, who combined the miner’s hammer and chisel to make a single machine – an important step forward in the modernization of mining.
Today, other factors influence life in this town on the Emscher – but the Flottmann-Hallen in Flottmannstraße are still very much a part of it. No longer as a place of work, but as a cultural centre in which contemporary artists can display their pictures and sculptures, where prominent satirists can be heard, and where modern dance is performed. A centre where you can hear both avant-garde music and Dixieland jazz, where youth culture has a home, and where professional fringe theatre can be experienced.

Flottmann-Hallen, Flottmannstraße 94, 44625 Herne
Phone: 0 23 23 / 16 29 80 (9 a.m. - 1 p.m.)
E-mail: flottmann-hallen@herne.de
Flottmann-Kneipe (pub / bistro): Tuesday to Sunday, from 7 p.m.
Internet site: www.www.flottmann-hallen.de


Künstlerzeche Unser Fritz (Artists Colliery Unser Fritz 2/3)


Künstlerzeche Unser Fritz 2/3 against the evening sky

Künstlerzeche Unser Fritz 2/3 (Artists Colliery Unser Fritz 2/3) is a place where you can see art in the making. Artists work here in eleven studios, and the one-time pit head baths provide 400 square metres of space for exhibitions and events.

Künstlerzeche Unser Fritz 2/3, Alleestraße 50 / Grimberger Feld, 44653 Herne
Internet site: www.kuenstlerzeche.de.


Boulevard Bahnhofstraße


Bird’s eye view of the pedestrian zone

Most pedestrian zones are indistinguishable. But Herne has put Bahnhofstraße in Herne-Mitte in the spotlight in the literal sense of the word, making it a boulevard where strolling is a real pleasure.
During the years 1999 to 2003 the 1,000 metre stretch of road between the Archaeology Museum in the south and the railway station in the north were completely revamped. The main design element and core of the concept was and continues to be "light". Prominent artists have designed light objects and installations which are in place along the whole length of the boulevard.

Pedestrian zone Herne-Mitte
Bahnhofstraße
44623 Herne


Town halls


The town hall in Herne-Mitte

Herne has two town halls. One is in Wanne and was officially opened in 1905; the other is without a doubt an "eye-catcher" on the generously dimensioned Friedrich-Ebert-Platz in Herne-Mitte. It was built in 1912 and is flanked by the municipal court on the right and the police offices on the left. The then young town created an attractive centre for itself – which it remains today.

Rathaus Herne, Friedrich-Ebert-Platz 2, 44623 Herne
Rathaus Wanne, Rathausstraße 6, 44649 Herne
General enquiries number of the city of herne: 0 23 23 / 1 60
Citizens’ helpline: 0 23 23 / 16 16 16


Rhine-Herne Canal


Sunset on the Rhine-Herne Canal

The canal which flows through Herne and which bears the town’s name was constructed between 1906 and 1914 for industrial purposes. But the people who live near the canal have always made use of it: for walking, cycling, fishing, rowing, bathing, relaxing etc. There are many different ways of getting to know the canal. For example, on board the pleasure boat Santa Monika, which sails daily in the summer holidays from Wanne / Crange (Dorstener Straße) to Schloss Oberhausen. Or take a trip from Gelsenkirchen to the port at Duisburg.
Motorboats, rowing boats and canoes, too, have found a niche on the canal. After the mines closed, the boating clubs took over the disused wharves and landing stages including, for example, the one-time moorage of "Friedrich der Große". The most faithful visitors to the canal are without a doubt the anglers who sit it out in all weathers waiting for the fish to bite.

The Rhine-Herne Canal is managed by the Duisburg-Meiderich Wasser- und Schifffahrtsamt.
Internet site: www.wsa-duisburg-meiderich.wsv.de.
Information on courses leading to a license for sports boats: Stadt Herne, Phone 0 23 23 / 16 42 46


Siedlung Teutoburgia (Teutoburgia miners’ housing estate)


Houses in the Teutoburgia miners’ housing estate

The suburb of Börnig is home to the Teutoburgia miners’ housing estate, one of the most attractive of its kind in the Ruhr region. Though none of the 136 buildings is alike, together they form a harmonious ensemble.
Built for the miners of Teutoburgia colliery between 1909 and 1923, the future of the estate appeared to be just as bleak as that of the colliery, which closed down as early as 1925. However, the tide turned with a large-scale modernization: In 1988 VEBA (originally the United Electricity and Mining Corporation) began to overhaul the estate and to restore the facades to their original character. In 1998 the buildings, with their 530 or so dwellings, looked as good as new. Teutoburgia is now a much sought-after residential area: Hundreds of street trees frame the attractive buildings, each with its English-style manicured front lawn and brightly coloured flower beds.
The Teutoburgia estate, which was designed as a garden city, also incorporates the woodland sculpture garden, pithead gear, and machine hall. As a heritage site, it is part of the International Building Exhibition (IBA). It extends over an area of 21.6 hectares.

Teutoburgia-Siedlung
Suburb Börnig / Holthausen
44627 Herne


If you would like to know more, send an e-mail to zir@herne.de.


Fields and trees – a view of the leafy suburb of Holthausen.